The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently confirmed that 92% of the worlds population live in areas where air pollution levels exceeds the WHO limits. Pollution can cause major health issues in both the short and long term, affecting your quality of life and increasing the risk of developing certain chronic diseases. Pollution also has a serious affect on your skins health; causing premature ageing, age spots and wrinkles and has even been linked to conditions such as eczema and hives.
The below pollutants can enter through our skins pores causing cellular and DNA damage as well as inflammation:
- Particulate Matter (PM): a microscopic solid, that is man made or natural, and is suspended into the earths atmosphere.
- Ozone: the ground level of the man made ozone layer, also known as ‘smog’
- Cigarette Smoke: contains 40 carcinogenic substances
- Heavy Metals: created from man-made products, such as paint, and car exhausts
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: created through the burning of materials such as coal which is then released into the atmosphere
- Halogenated Free Radicals: commonly found in disinfectants, bleach, pesticides, insecticides, chlorine and many more
- Nitrogen Oxides: created through a high temperature combustion
It is super crucial that you wear some sort of protection against the everyday pollutants we face, especially when living in a city such as London. Over twenty to thirty years ago everyone was talking about protecting your skin from UV damage, and now the topic of protecting your skin from air pollution is starting to emerge. To ensure your skin remains healthy, this is one product you should definitely invest in!