This recipe is a healthier alternative to Belgium waffles using more wholesome ingredients, that will bring your breakfast to the next level!
They are plant-based, insanely tasty and can be topped with anything you like. Especially on rainy Saturdays like today, I love to make something a little different for breakfast.
For this recipe, I used 100% natural blue spirulina powder, available here by Unicorn Superfoods. One 3-gram serving contains 60% protein and is a great source of iron, manganese and vitamins A and K.
I enjoyed these topped with blueberries and watermelon but it is totally versatile and up to you on what you would like to add!
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 eggs or (2 flax eggs for vegans)
- 1 1/2 cups almond or cashew milk
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp blue spirulina powder
- Handful of blueberries
- 3x tbsp coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup of watermelon
- 1. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl and mix well
- 2. In a separate bowl, add the eggs, milk of choice, 1 tbsp avocado oil, vanilla extract and mix well
- 3. Add both mixes together gently until combined
- 4. Wipe waffle press with 1 tbsp avocado oil until completely covered
- 5. Cook the waffles for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown
- 6. Once cooked, mix the coconut yogurt with blue spirulina and drizzle over the waffles
- 7. Serve with your favourite fruits!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @lizzyrosenutrition on instagram and hashtag #lizzyrosenutrition